Electric Safety

Here are some things to remember when using electricity at home.

Never use a radio, TV or hair dryer when you are using the sink or are in the bathtub or shower, and don't touch anything that's electric when your hands are wet.

If you're standing on a wet floor, never touch a switch or plug in any electric appliance(such as a toaster, or hairdryer).

Never overload outlets with too many plugs and extension cords. Never pull a plug out by the cord.

Never stick foreign objects or fingers in an outlet or socket or objects like a fork in a toaster that's plugged in.

Make sure to use the proper extension cords. Overloading can cause the insulation on the cord to overheat, melt and expose live wires. Live wires can spark and cause a fire.

Make sure cords are kept away from walking areas so you don't trip and fall.

Never leave small appliances or space heaters running unattended.

If the power goes out, make sure you keep a flashlight handy to find your way around in the dark. Put your mouse over the light and move it around to see what's inside.