I Smell Gas!
When natural gas comes out of the earth, it is both odorless and colorless. When natural gas is processed, an unpleasant odor similar to that of rotten eggs is added for safety reasons.
If you notice an odor like that of rotten eggs, you may be in danger.
- Tell an adult, and get everyone to leave the home or building immediately!
- Go across the street or to a nearby house. If in an apartment building, leave the building and head for the parking lot.
- After you are safely outside, have an adult call the fire department and your natural gas company to report the leak.
- Do not turn on or off any lights or electrical appliances as this could spark a fire.
- Do not return to your home until the fire department and gas company say it is alright to go back inside.