I Smell Gas!

Natural gas is efficient and safe to use indoors and outdoors. When natural gas comes out of the earth, it is both odorless and colorless. When it is processed, an unpleasant odor similar to that of rotten eggs called mercaptan is added for safety reasons. It smells bad so you will notice. Mercaptan is harmless.

WHAT TO DO . . .

If you notice an odor like that of rotten eggs, you may be in danger.

  • DO NOT turn on or off any lights or electrical appliances, light candles, or use a phone as this could spark a fire.
  • Leave the house or building immediately, even before calling 911.
  • Tell an adult, and anyone around to leave the home or building immediately!
  • Go across the street or to a nearby house. If you are in an apartment building, leave the building, and head for the parking lot.
  • After you are safely outside, have an adult call the fire department and your natural gas company to report the leak.
  • Do not return to your home until the fire department and gas company say it is alright to go back inside.