Electric Safety


  • Never use a radio, TV, phone, laptop, tablet, hair dryer, or any electric appliance when you are using the sink or are in the bathtub or shower. Don't touch anything that's electric when your hands are wet.
  • If you're standing on a wet floor, never touch a switch or plug in any electric appliance such as a toaster, hairdryer, or anything plugged into an outlet.
  • Never leave small appliances or space heaters running unattended.
  • Never stick foreign objects or fingers in an outlet or socket, or objects like a fork in a toaster that's plugged in. Use protector plugs, power strip covers, and cord shortens to help protect babies and small children from dangerous outlets.
  • Make sure to use the proper extension cords. Overloading can cause the insulation on the cord to overheat, melt, and expose live wires. Live wires can spark and cause a fire.
  • Never touch an exposed wire or try to unplug it. Get an adult to help.
  • Make sure cords are kept away from walking areas so you don't trip and fall. Don’t leave chargers plugged in when not in use. Keep cords neat and away from pets that may chew on them.
  • If the power goes out, make sure you keep a flashlight handy to find your way around in the dark. Lighting candles can be dangerous when left unattended. Electric candles with remote controls are available, and run on batteries.