Electric Fire

Electricity is hot and can cause fires. A light bulb that is hot can get too close to something that can burn and catch fire. An electric space heater too close to a window curtain or furniture can start a fire. Insulation on an overloaded cord can melt, exposing live wires. These wires can spark and cause a fire.

Never overload electrical wall outlets or circuits that supply power to several outlets. This is one of the major causes of residential fires. The heat can cause excessive wear on the internal wring system and can ignite a fire. Use power strips with surge protection for plugging in multiple devices.

WHAT TO DO . . .

Always make sure all your smoke detectors are in working order.

Always plan an emergency escape route from your home. Make sure you have an emergency ladder accessible if you are on upper floors. Make a line drawing of all the rooms in your house, and map out an escape route with your whole family. That way everyone knows where to go. You can practice your escape plan with your family just like you practice a fire drill at school. Make sure you all agree on a meeting place after you get outside, like a neighbor's house or a certain place in your yard a safe distance from the house. That way you'll know everyone got out safely and it helps the fire and police find anyone that may be missing. Be sure to always get help from an adult or neighbor if you can.

Energy Conservation?